Harris Road opened its doors on August 4, 2002, with 780 students, 56 certified staff members, and 35 support staff. The Patriot was chosen as the mascot, and teams, hallways, and colors were all given a patriot theme.
Mr. John Harwood opened the school and served as principal for two years, before Susan Cline was named Principal after serving as the school’s Assistant Principal of Instruction. While she was principal Harris Road continued to be ranked among the best schools in Cabarrus County.
In 2009, Ms. Cline retired, and Dr. Jim Williams was named principal. Due to population growth in the area, Harris Road experienced a major increase in the number of students enrolled. In 2010, Harris Road had over 1500 students and was the largest Middle School in the state of North Carolina. Every classroom was full and 17 mobile learning units were brought in to house all of the students. In 2011, Harold Winkler Middle school opened and enrollment decreased by almost a third.
2013 brought another change to the administration team at Harris Road as Raymond "Tripp" Aldredge became the 4th principal of Harris Road. Mr. Aldredge came to HRMS from Central Cabarrus High School where he served as Assistant Principal. Under his leadership HRMS has remained one of the highest performing middle schools in the state and #1 in student growth in Cabarrus County. In 2016 Harris Road was named a Global Ready School. In 2017 Harris Road was named a Model School.
In 2017 Steven Bookhart was named principal of Harris Road. He came to Harris Road from Patriots Elementary where he served as principal.